Saturday, 13 May 2017

Vegan in Ho Chi Minh City: Loving Hut Hoa Đăng

Loving Hut (LH) is vegans' most reliable eatery while travelling. They have a branch or two in most cities around the world. I once wrote about the branch in Hanoi (read here). Today, the spotlight shines on the one in Saigon.


*NOTE* Those little steamed rice cakes wrapped in leaves in the photo above are there for you to eat, but you are charged for how many you actually consume. Just a little heads-up for you guys.

- Address: 38Huỳnh Khương Ninh, Phường Đa Kao, Quận 1, TPHCM
- Opening hours: Monday-Sunday 09:00-14:00 & 16:00-21:00
- Website: http://lovinghuthoadang.com/

Loving Hut Hoa Đăng is the name. This may be the fanciest LH I've ever been to. Two floors to this place: 1st is the dining area; and 2nd is a grocery shop. Uhh, let's clarify something, I said "fancy", but I don't mean they charge you a whooping amount or that you have to dress certain way coming here. Nope, not that far. My judgement is based on the number of LH restaurants I've been to, most of which are rather smaller in size compared to this one in HCMC. The waiters at Loving Hut Hoa Đăng wear blazer and bowtie for crying out loud.


This LH branch is very popular amongst local people. I don't think there has ever been a time I've been that the restaurant is not busy and buzzing with customers. As a result, it can be pretty loud because people talk all over one another. Plus, tables are set quite close to each other it can be slightly uncomfortable. This is me discussing the cons if you haven't caught on yet by the way. It's not all bad really. This is just because, personally, I prefer chilled places to crowded ones. I've been living in HCMC for almost two years, and visited this restaurant about four times.

The crowdedness and table setup are the only two cons I can think of for this LH. I have no complaints regarding their food. They have plenty of dishes with mock meat and they're all divine - well, at least, I can vow for the dishes I've tried. They have all wide range of food on the menu - Vietnamese food, fusion food, burgers, spaghetti, and so on.



And also, they make the most divine vegan flan. So rich, so smooth, so creamy. The sucky part is that it's sold out almost every time I ask. I only had it once. The flan was discontinued for a little while as well, but back now apparently.

I miss you so, creamy flan 😿

On to the small vegan grocery shop upstairs, I usually make a visit to stock up on some vegan supply after I've finished eating. The most important item to me is Earth Balance margarine, two types: organic and original although on my last shopping run, I was told that the original ones weren't for sell, but for restaurant use. I also spotted Daiya cheese, but it wasn't for sale, either... 😑  Anyhow, they have plenty of other things you can buy: Gardein burger patties, Gardein breakfast pockets, mock meat, veggie sausages, etc.



Oh, remember this, the 1st and 15th every Lunar month are the two days when many followers of Buddhism eat vegetarian food. Yep, take two days and certainly, you're a devoted and kind Buddhist... Anyway, due to this, vegetarian restaurants can be very busy. I usually don't pay attention to the Lunar calendar, thus, on Wednesday, after yoga, I decided to go to Loving Hut Hoa Đăng to get some frozen goods from the shop. Unknowingly, it was the 15th of the the Lunar month, and the restaurant was packed. I walked in and there were people there waiting to be seated 😳  It was so busy they set up table upstairs where the grocery shop is, so yeah, I got the hell out of there. I couldn't get to the fridge to get what I needed anyway. On the other hand, on these two days, a lot of veggie joints will have all-you-can-eat buffet, so sometimes it's worth fighting through the crowd hehe 😉

Thanks for reading! 😺



*All photos are mine*


Instagram: cicixtran
Email: cicixtran@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. That LH is without a doubt the fanciest one I've ever been to! I loved the shop, if they still have them you need to get an Eli's Earth chocolate bar - they're so delicious!

    ReplyDelete